I am sorry about the post being delayed yesterday! I set the auto post with a time and the jerk did not post it… So here it is!
Happy day after Cinco de Mayo! I totally spaced about it yesterday until it was too late to change my post. In light of summer and boating, BBQ’s, Cinco de Drinko.. I mean Cinco de Mayo.. I decided to do some research and compile a list of “figure-friendly” beverages that will not completely derail your progress.
Some tips to stick by when you are sipping on a cocktail are to choose freshly squeezed juices versus sugar loaded concentrates. Juice can add a lot of calories to your drink, so try just adding a splash for flavor. Choose seltzer water over soda and add a piece of fresh fruit for a little sweetness or stir in a tough of stevia. Try to stick to light-colored alcohols versus dark and stick to one shot per drink. If you are out at a restaurant, try drinks on the rocks versus blended and read the ingredients list. A classic margarita on average has 268-500 calories (a frozen has 740!) where as one shot of tequila on ice with a lime wedge has 100 calories. A Cosmopolitan has 212 calories for 4 oz and a daiquiri has 250 calories on average. Daiquiris vary but some are upwards of 600 calories and a mudslide can be pushing 850 calories!
· Margarita- Mix 6 oz lemon-lime seltzer water with 1 shot of tequila and top with 2 TBSP fresh lime juice served over ice. Calories- 100 *skip the salted rim*
· Cranberry Cosmo- Mix 3 oz diet Ocean spray cranberry juice with 1 shot of vodka and top with 2 tsp fresh lime juice over ice. Calories- 100
· Mojito- 5 oz lemon-lime seltzer water with 1 shot of light rum mixed with 10 mint leaves, 2 lime slices and served over ice. Calories- 98
· Spiked Lemonade- 5 oz Minute Maid Light Lemonade mixed with 1 shot vodka served over ice with lemon slices. Calories-90
· Strawberry Daiquiri- Mix 1 packet strawberry sugar-free powdered drink mix with 4 oz of water and blend with 1 shot light rum, 3 frozen strawberries, 1 tsp fresh lime juice and ice. Calories- 120
· Mudslide- Mix 1 packet diet hot cocoa mix with 1 TBSP sugar-free syrup (white chocolate or vanilla) and 3 oz hot water. Once dissolved, add ¼ cup light soymilk with 1 shot vodka and 1 tsp sugar free chocolate syrup. Blend with ice. Calories- 150
I do not drink often but if I do, my go to drink is a vodka soda with either lemon/lime slices or orange slices. I usually ask for potato vodka (distilled from potatoes) because it is gluten-free and I tend to feel better than drinking liquor distilled from grains. If you are a beer and wine person, try and stick to light colored beers for they are not as calorically dense. A glass of red wine has antioxidants and has been shown to be heart healthy. Whatever your drink of choice (if you drink), there is usually a way to clean it up! Enjoy