Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rise n' Shine Sleepy Head!


Well top of the mornin' to ya! Sorry for the belated post...I got caught by that nasty little bugger that is going around but don't yall worry, it can't keep me down for too long. How many of you consider yourself to be a morning person? Lets see a raise of hands. Yep that is what I thought, I only see about 2 maybe 3 hands high in the air and that other 1/2 a hand in the corner that wants to be. That is great! That means the rest of you are out and about after work and hit the gym when you can right?

I am that annoying woman you see bouncing around getting a crap load done before 6 a.m. It is to the gym for a lift and cardio, home to shower dinner prepped, breakfast and lunch made, snuggles with the 3 bullies and coffee for the husband before heading to work at 6:45am. Most mornings, it is easy to get up and once I am moving, I feel good. There are times however, I hit the snooze...again....once more... Then crawl out of bed and wonder what the heck I am doing. On those days, I find if I prepare the night before, it is much easier to move my unwilling feet towards my running shoes and out the door. It does not matter if you enjoy the gym at early in the morning or late late at night, getting some type of physical activity in is the most important thing! Here are a few tips that will keep you on track, whether it be your first workout in 4 years or an unmotivating dreary winter day.
  1. Fail to prepare or prepare to fail- This is my absolute favorite quote! Prepare yourself for your workout by setting out your clothes, shoes, iPod and/or packing your gym bag the night before. It only takes a couple minutes (you can squeeze it in during a commercial break of The Voice) but it avoids wasted time in the morning searching in the dark and risking a stubbed toe for your favorite socks. It also allows you extra time in the morning to have a couple more sips of coffee before you head out for your sweat session.
  2. Gear up and Get Ready- charge your iPod, update your playlist, get your yoga mat or your weight lifting gloves together and packed so you do not have any excuse NOT to work out. Also, I find it very appetizing to work out with cold water so fill your water bottle half way with water and place in the freezer. The next morning, all you need to do is fill er' up to the top and as Emeril would say BAM! Cold water all day.
  3. Snickity Snack- Grab a little snack pre-work out to get your metabolism going and to up your energy levels. Pack it the night before and keep it in the front of the fridge so you can grab and go. Awesome pre-work out snacks include half a slice of whole-wheat toast and 1 TBSP peanut butter, a scoop of protein mixed with water, or apple slices with almond butter. 
  4. Hit the sack early- Try and get to bed early so you are well rested. If you are a night owl, try to get in bed 1/2 hour earlier than normal every night for a week and see how that goes. Do not forget to set your alarm! If you tend to hit the snooze button way too many times, try putting your alarm clock on the other side of the room so you HAVE to get your booty out of bed.
  5. Set a date your calendar- We all make 2-hr hair appointments, lunch dates with friends, doctors appointments, nail appointments and fitness should be no different! Write it down in your day planner and make it a point to make time for your health.
  6. Post-workout treat- Plan something special for when you have completed a week of work outs! I always grab a special coffee (for me that means a little nonfat cream) for me and my husband and make it a point to sit and chat before the day really gets going.
Get out there and make it happen!
Take care of you!

Xoxo,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment