- Gastrointestinal Relief- Ginger can relieve nausea and vomiting because of its ability to disrupt and expel gas in the intestine. Can’t stop the toot-a-thon? Ginger Helps!
- Nausea- Ginger can help with motion sickness and sea sickness including symptoms like dizziness, cold sweats, and headaches. Ginger is also safe for women and used as a treatment in pregnancy-related nausea!
- Anti-inflammatory- Ginger contains gingerols which are potent compounds that inhibit the formation of free radicals such as Nitric Oxide in the body, alleviating chronic joint pain caused by inflammation in the joints. Ginger can be beneficial for suffers of Osteoarthritis because not only do ginger's compounds aid in reducing inflammation, they are also a natural painkiller.
- Exercise Induced Muscle Pain- Since I am a weightlifting nut, I found this to be very interesting. I have read that ginger reduces inflammation such as ibuprofen or aspirin would. A study here http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/189359.php discusses ginger and muscle pain related to exercise.
- Blood Circulation- Ginger powder induces cell death in ovarian cancer cells.
- Colon Cancer Prevention- Scientific research shows that ginger may slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells and reduces the inflammation markers in the colon.
- Ovarian Cancer Treatment- Ginger powder has been shown to induce cell death in ovarian cancer cells.
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Now I am not talking about a cute little red-headed infant like my brother was when he was little. I am talking about the wonderful aromatic, pungent, spicy root that is available all year round at your local supermarket. On millions of dining tables in India, you’ll see matchsticks of fresh ginger that have turned a soft pink from being soaked in lemon juice and salt: a zingy accompaniment to any cooked meal. That is because Ginger is one of the greatest Super Foods! If Ginger could wear a cape, it would and it would have a big 'H' on the back for HEALER. Ginger is a multitasking food and the list I am going to provide is only part of its wonderful benefits.
Take care of you!