Monday, February 24, 2014

Dream Big...

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world" -Harriet Tubman


Be that dreamer who wishes to change the world. It may be your own world that is changed or by following your dream you may find that you change the lives of others. One dream can lead to another and the next thing you know, you are creating the life you always imagined. Passion, patience and strength are key components that each and every one of us has, it may just take a little to pull them out and put them to work in order to achieve great things. I challenge you to chase one of your dreams, no matter the size, and I bet you will discover a new side to yourself! It may take time and your patience may wear thin, but when you reach that milestone whether it be running your first 5k, fitting into a pair of your old favorite jeans, or feeling healthy and happy from the inside out, do not ever give up. The time will pass anyways so you might as well buckle in for this crazy ride and make it worth your while!

Today is another Monday <insert a moan of dread> but that is ok! I'm labeling it move it Monday! I challenge you to get out, either at lunch or after work or somewhere in between for a 10 min walk. It can be around Costco or the grocery store on your way home or your neighborhood after dinner with your spouse. Just get movin! Today is another dreaded leg day. I love to hate legs because it is hard, I sweat, I curse my husbands name (who trains me on leg days), and I can not walk for the next 3 days. Sounds terrible right? Well it is not that bad especially when you put on a pair of shorts and think to yourself "Dang my legs look good!" I hate shorts but will make it a point to wear them come summer (whenever that may be) to prove hard work is worth it.

My leg routine for today will look something like this. I will try and capture some quick video clips to demonstrate some of the lifts I highly utilize to build my lower half, especially my behind! :)

Barbell Back Squats: 1 warm-up set with the bar, 1 warm-up set with a 25lb plate on each side, 3 working sets of 8-10 reps: 1 with 45lbs each side, 1 with 55lbs each side, 1 set as heavy as I can go for 6 reps.

Alternating barbell forward lunges with push back- I start with a straight weighted barball on my back and step forward into a deep lunge before explosively push myself back to the starting position and alternate between sides for 4 sets of 25. This is a bootay killer! It is very effective on working the glute-hamstring tie-in.

Leg Press- The hip sled (leg press) at my gym is at an incline so it works hamstrings, glutes, and quads depending on foot placement. I usually use it for more quad dominant workouts so I keep my feet close together and keep my feet and  knees in line with my hips. I start with 4 plates on each side and work up to 8 plates for 8 reps. (This is where you can insert the cursing and wanting to punch something)

I will then choose 2-3 more exercises depending on if it is a quad or hamstring workout. I love to use the lying leg curl, hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions, and weighted hip thrusts for hamstrings. For quads, I use the leg extensions machine, front squats, or sissy squats.

It is a big Monday folks and I will be digging deep to get through legs! Now here is a quick little treat I think yall will love especially when you have a sweet tooth!


Take a Pinapple, cut it into 2 1/4 inch thick rounds (this will be about 1 cup) and grill it on the Foreman or saute it on the stove for about two minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle it with a dash of cinnamon and enjoy! It is sooooo divine!!

Take care of you,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment