Monday, June 2, 2014

Fresh Food

Happy Monday and Happy June! Today is the start of the AB challenge and for those of you joining in on the fun; I cannot wait for you to get started!  This is going to be a great kick off to what’s coming next month! J


Over the weekend, I did some deeeeeeep cleaning. When I say deep, I mean nooks and crannies that have probably never been cleaned by my (bless his heart) husband. I tackled the fridge and freezer, removing every single item, checking dates, checking freshness, and reorganizing what went back in and what went in the trash. The “sell by” dates and “expiration dates” are great guides to use when considering tossing an item or just by looking at it. For example, dairy is an easy to look at or smell and decipher if it should be kept or if you happen to see furry friends growing, you know to chuck it!


In a previous post (food prep) I mentioned the length of time I keep my prepared food for but I created this chart to take some of the guess work out of expiration/ freshness dates of the most popular foods.


FOOD ITEM
PREPARED?
HOW LONG?
POULTRY
RAW (UNOPENED)
COOKED
PRECOOKED (OPENED)
1-2 DAYS
3-4 DAYS
3-4 DAYS
BEEF, PORK
RAW (UNOPENED)
COOKED
PRECOOKED (OPENED)
1-2 DAYS
3-5 DAYS
3-5 DAYS
GROUND MEAT, POULTRY
RAW (UNOPENED)
COOKED
1-2 DAYS
3-4 DAYS
EGGS
RAW (IN SHELL)
HARD BOILED
3-5 WEEKS
5-7 DAYS
CANNED MEAT/FISH
UNOPENED (IN PANTRY)
OPENED
2-5 YEARS
3-4 DAYS
BREAD
FROZEN
FRESH (IN PANTRY)
FRESH (IN FRIDGE)
3 MONTHS
3-5 DAYS
7-10 DAYS
FRUITS
FROZEN
FRESH
2-3 MONTHS
DEPENDS ON THE FRUIT
VEGGIES
FROZEN
FRESH
2-3 MONTHS
DEPENDS ON THE VEGGIES
DAIRY
FRESH
STICK TO ‘USE BY’ DATES


Some of you may remember being a kid and putting bananas on your peanut butter sandwich. Maybe be you (or your mom) drizzled some honey over the top to make a delicious good sandwich that would leave a giant sticky mess! The other day I really wanted something sweet, something gooey, and something that wasn’t going to ruin my diet. So I created a yummy treat with simple ingredients that satisfied my sweet tooth!




Ingredients

1 medium banana, sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tsp honey/agave
1 TBSP PB2 (powdered peanut butter)

Instructions

Heat a non-stick pan on low-medium heat
and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Mix
the tablespoon of PB2 and set aside. Place
sliced bananas in pan and cook 2-3 minutes
per side until caramelized. Place on plate, sprinkle
with cinnamon. Divide peanut butter evenly on banana

slices and drizzle with honey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment