Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wicked Shoulder Workout Wednesday


Sorry this is a little later than usual... If there was a way to post while I was stuck in rush-hour traffic this morning I would have...But its better late than never right??

I love muscle did ya know that? :) I love the way it looks on men and women. I love how empowering it feels to be able to move, lift, and open things because I am strong. I love giving and receiving compliments about the hard work it takes to build that muscle. I can appreciate the detailed nutrition plan that builds muscle and I can definitely respect the training that builds a muscular physique. As a figure competitor, I know what it is like to follow a strict diet and training regimen in order to achieve a “stage-ready” physique. For the figure division, a well-balanced muscular (but not too muscular) physique is desired with a ‘V-taper’ from the shoulders/back to the waist. Big, round shoulders caps, a wide back and a narrow waist is ideal. So with that being said, I train my shoulder twice a week religiously. If I do not know what body part to train, my go to is shoulders. I love to train shoulder! I love the way my shirts/jackets do not fit because of my shoulders but I also hate this because I can never find clothes that are not stretchy! And do not get me started on trying to jean shop for a muscular booty and thighs! ;) Here is one of my many shoulder workouts and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! **Please note that the weight you lift will greatly depend on your fitness level and a weight lifting program should be appropriately tailored for YOU (the weights below are what I lift on average).


1. Hammer Strength Shoulder Press-

Warmup with 25lb each side for 1 set of 12, 35lb each side for 1 set of 12
3 working sets at 45lb, 55lb, 60lb for 10 reps.





2. Military DB Presses-
4 working sets of 8-10 reps at 35lbs, 40lbs, last two sets as heavy as I can.







3. Single Arm Lateral Raise-
Using a sturdy pole to hang on to (I use the squat cage), perform single arm raises using a 25 lb dumbbell. Perform 10 repetitions each side for 4 sets.





4. Incline Front Raises-
Using a straight bar or dumbbells, perform 3-4 sets of 10 repetitions. I use the 20lb straight bar





5. Bent-over Cable Delts-
Perform 10 on each side for 3-4 sets.






6. Smith Machine Shrugs-

I always do shrugs last. I usually perform 4 sets of 12 reps, always varying the weight depending on the position of my grip and if I am doing one side at a time.







Here is a picture of why I love shoulder day! This is my first competition compared to my last show in November.

Train hard y'all!

J


**Pictures are from yworkout.com**

No comments:

Post a Comment